Wednesday 20 January 2010

The story so far......

Currently, it’s been three months since I began my MA in Public Relations, and, true to fashion, my opinions and views concerning the profession have changed.
I initially studied Public Relations at undergraduate level as a module on the final year of my undergraduate course. I found the subject difficult to grasp. I was required to use skills which initially were not of my repertoire- as I was accustomed to writing essays, and conducting research and reflecting on my findings in analytic fashion.
I decided to actively seek unpaid work experience, to aid my learning and develop certain skills, and so it was, I eventually succeeded in my quest to seek out work experience in pr. It was a small in house agency. As I continued my voluntary work, I began to discover I enjoyed pr, this naturally lead to the next step which was to embark on an MA in PR.
I am beginning to learn the nature of PR which is, not everything appears as it seems. Much like the times we live in, PR appears to be fluid and restless in nature. It appears to consist of many skills, critics would accuse PR practitioners as being, jack of all trades yet, master of none. I however, would disagree. The current climate, especially media, requires versatility along with flexibility. This is echoed in the skills all good PR practitioners are required to harbour; communication, writing, organisation, crisis management, management, image management and media relations.
In my journey to secure adequate work experience which also happens to be a compulsory component of my course. I leant to discover that, relocation is almost certainly immanent if I am to prosper in PR. Furthermore, travel costs to the capital, are seemingly problematic. After concluding my degree, unfortunately I find myself riddled with debt....ah the joys of student life. However, I am lucky enough to be able to draw on contacts which I established during my undergraduate years. The in-house agency is the answer to my problematic issue of work placement. I intend to save a substantial amount of income which would hopefully allow me to make inroads into the capital and secure some sort of placement; which would require me to travel once a week over an on-going period of time. I would wish to establish some sort of link with an agency as opposed to an in-house- as I feel agencies would provide me with a more detailed and elaborate portfolio of the work I would have undertaken during my work placements. This should aid me in securing employment. I would also like to wish my fellow course mates all the best on securing work placements.

No comments:

Post a Comment